Monthly Archives: July 2011

Invest 91L

Happy Friday !!

I was asked the other day what is an “Invest”. It is the name given to a tropical wave that deserves to be investigated for possible development. Now that we got that out the way here is what is happening in the tropics as we speak.

A tropical wave has been labeled invest 91L. It is currently about 950-1,000 miles east of the Leeward Islands and is moving west to west-northwest. The National Hurricane Center gives this tropical wave a 30% chance of developing into a tropical cyclone within the next 48 hours. This wave might need to be watched as it approaches the Leeward and Windward Islands since we are entering the part of the hurricane season where tropical waves come off Africa and traverse the Atlantic.

I just wanted to put the word out there and more information will be gathered for my Monday post. If anything new changes throughout the weekend, I will post it.

Have a great weekend !!

DISCLAIMER: I am neither a meteorologist nor a professional; just a weather enthusiast. For the experts please go to: www.nhc.noaa.gov

Advertisements

Invest 90L

Good Morning !!

I wanted to discuss briefly Invest 90L. Currently, this tropical wave is located 50 miles northeast of Cancun, Mexico moving west-northwest at 14 mph. In the last 24 hours, this wave has become much better organized. Yesterday at this time, this tropical wave had a 20% chance of becoming a tropical cyclone. This morning the chance has increased to 80%. There is a good chance that 90L will become a tropical depression, but it will not affect land east of Louisiana.

Stay tuned.

DISCLAIMER: I am neither a meteorologist nor a professional; just a weather enthusiast. For the experts please go to: www.nhc.noaa.gov.